09 Jul 2014
Apparently yes. Now this comes as the latest news concerning dental health and athletes. According to a research published in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, those who practice sports as a profession have more cavities and suffer from tooth erosion more than the non-atheltes.
Seems like the answer behind this interesting fact lies in what athletes eat before, during and after training. In specific, the consumption of sports snacks, energy drinks and food that are rich in carbs and sugars lead to more cavities and teeth erosion. Furthermore, by breathing through their mouth during training, they dry out saliva and saliva is essential in protecting teeth from acids and bacteria.
So what is one to do if his profession is sports or he or she practices sports on a daily basis? We have a few useful tips for you in order to lower the risk of cavities and enamel erosion:
1. Consuming carbs is important for stamina and resistance. Try to choose foods, drinks and snacks with limited amounts of sugars.
2. During training, chew on a sugarless gum to stimulate the production of saliva.
3. Drink water as often as possible to prevent mouth dryness and neutralise acids in your mouth.
4. It would be a good idea to wash your teeth both before and after training in order to keep bacteria at bay.
5. When brushing teeth, use a fluoride enriched toothpaste to enhance teeth defences against cavity attacks.
6. Get yourself regular appointments for professional dental cleaning treatments to get rid of plaque on your teeth and limit the risk of bacteria getting into your gums and causing gum disease.
Remember to have your teeth check at least every 3 to 4 month if you spend hours in the gym or a running track or a sports field. Prevention is your only way to make sure your teeth are perfectly healthy and your smile is as brilliant as ever.
If you have specific questions in regard to dental health problems when practicing sports, don’t hesitate to contact us any time as our team of professionals will be more than happy to answer you ASAP.